Setting Up the Ledger Nano S | Guide
You have finally decided to properly Safeguard your Cryptocurrencies and purchase a Ledger Nano S Hardware Waller. Great Job! Storing your cryptocurrency on a hardware wallet is much more secure than using an online wallet or, god forbid, keeping them on an exchange. And, if you’re confused on how to start, we’re here to help you out with your Ledger Nano S setup.
Before we get started, we would like to inform you that it is highly recommended that you only purchase a Ledger from an Authorized Ledger Retailer like us. Doing so ensures that the wallet you receive hasn’t been tampered with.
Click HERE to Purchase the Ledger Nano S at our Discounted Pricings!
- Screen: This is where the action is. It’s small but contains almost every piece of important information. Addresses, seeds, menus, and amounts are all shown here.
- Left button: As the name suggests, this navigates you to the left. It also navigates you up in vertical menus.
- Right button: You guessed it. Tapping this will move you right in horizontal menus and down in vertical menus.
- Swivel cover: This is the sleek cover to your wallet. Just look how shiny it is.
1. UPDATE YOUR LEDGER NANO S’ FIRMWARE
Before initializing your device, make sure to update your Ledger Nano S with its latest firmware. Firmware updates include additional features and important security improvements. The update can take up to 15 minutes, you’ll find a step-by-step (installation guide).
Once you’ve updated your Nano S, you can proceed with the initialization steps detailed below.
2. CONNECT YOUR LEDGER NANO S
Plug your Nano S with the USB cable on a computer, and follow the instructions on the embedded small screen. You can choose to create a new wallet, or import a Bitcoin account or an Ethereum account. Whatever your selection, you just need to observe the on-screen instructions all along the process, selecting and validating with the two buttons above the display.
3. CHOOSE A PIN CODE
Choose and memorize your four-digit PIN code that will be requested each time you connect your Nano S. Confirm this PIN code and be careful to remember it: 3 wrong successive PIN codes will reset your Nano S.
4. BACKUP YOUR RECOVERY PHRASE
Copy on the “Recovery sheet” supplied in the box the 24 words in order of appearance. This step is really important to guarantee you can recover anytime your wallet in case of loss or theft. You won’t be able to finish the configuration without confirming you copied the 24 words by selecting some of them as requested. Keep your “Recovery sheet” in a safe place.
5. INSTALL LEDGER APPS
Once you’ve seen the mention: “Your device is now ready”, your Nano S is configured. Now you just have to install the Ledger Apps on your computer to use your wallet. In your Chrome or Chromium 50+ browser, download for free the Ledger Wallet Bitcoin Chrome app or the Ledger Wallet Ethereum Chrome app. You’ll find these management interfaces on the Apps page. This apps get installed in few seconds, and the upgrades are free.
- Ledger Wallet Bitcoin (& Altcoins): The Bitcoin wallet app supports Bitcoin and the majority of altcoins that aren’t ERC20. It’s available for you to download on Windows, Mac, Linux, or Chrome OS.
- Ledger Wallet Ethereum: The Ethereum wallet app supports Ethereum, Ethereum Classic, and ERC20 tokens. It works in combination with MyEtherWallet to secure your funds. You need Google Chrome for this one as it’s a Chrome app. But, with Chrome you can still use it on Windows, Mac, Linux, and Chrome OS.
- Ledger Wallet Ripple: The Ripple wallet app is obviously for Ripple. It’s available for Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems.
- Ledger Manager: The Ledger Manager isn’t a wallet; it’s an app manager for other wallets that you can install on your Ledger Nano S. You need to use this to install wallets for altcoins, like Dash and Dogecoin, that aren’t ERC20 tokens. This is also where you update your firmware after the initial setup. The manager is available as a Chrome app on Windows, Mac, Linux, and Chrome operating systems.
6. YOUR NANO S IS READY TO BE USED
Now you can use your Nano S with your Chrome apps on any computer, even a compromised one, to send or receive payments. Each transaction will be verified on the embedded display and validated with buttons.